Activity: Visit an Art Museum!
I love Culture, History, Science, and other museums too, but for this Art110 Activity, be sure to go to an Art Museum.
@ the Museum
- snap a few pix of yourself at the museum
- Pick 2 works of art at the museum and Compare & Contrast them.
If possible, take pix of your 2 works. Or if possible buy postcards of them in the gift shop. Museums usually will let you take pix of anything they own, but not of traveling works they don’t own.
As usual, submit your Museum Visit as a new blog post on your WordPress.
Compare & Contrast
- Formal: Start by talking about how the line, shape, color, texture, scale, rhythm, etc of the 2 pieces compare
- Conceptual: how are the ideas these 2 works evoke in you similar and different?
Los Angeles area Art Museums
Admission prices vary. Some have student discounts. Some are free to students. Some are very not-so-free. Some have free or low-cost parking. Some have not-so-low-cost parking. Please check their website carefully for all that. Also be sure of their days and hours. It would really suck to drive out there when they’re closed!
CONTEMPORARY ART MUSEUMS
• Hammer Museum, UCLA / Westwood
• The Broad Museum, Downtown LA
• MOCA / Grand Ave. (Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art / Grand Avenue)
• MOCA / Geffen (Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art / Little Tokyo)
• MOCA / PDC (Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art / Pacific Design Center)
The Broad & MOCA Grand Av are right across the street from each other. And if you’d like to eat, just a short walk down the hill is Grand Central Market. And BTW, if you eat at Grand Central Market, you really should go across the street and take a look at The Bradbury Building.