Welcome to Los Angeles!
I hope you have an awesome time here!
Here’s a few details about my place:
From 2015-2017 RULA (Runaway University, Los Angeles) was located in Rosemead, CA. We had 4 student dormitories there:
- Budapest Train Station
- Sonthofen Ski Lodge
- Curaçao Beach
- Kuala Lumpurlet
In 2019 RULA has moved to its new home in Monterey Park, CA. Our new dorms are:
- Tamagringo Beach
- Taipei 101
- Goiquito Lounge
- Valencia Veranda
In both locations it’s been public spaces, not private rooms. I have some air mattresses & blankets. Since I try to host multiple students at the same time, it’s great if someone has a foam pad or sleeping bag. But we usually have enough to go around!
RULA is a no smoking facility.
"Los Angeles" is a city, a county, and also a "metropolitan area." Big, bigger, biggest!
You probably already know, yet can’t possibly fully appreciate, that Los Angeles is a city (metropolitan area) defined by sprawl! To give you some idea: LA & NY both have about 10 million people. But NY packs those 10 million into about 1,000 km2, and in LA it’s 10,000 km2!
American Counties by Area
#1. San Bernardino County, CA – 52,000 km2 of land
#74. Los Angeles County, CA – 10,500 km2 (not counting about 2,000 km2 of water)
American Counties by Population
- Los Angeles County, CA – 10+ million people
- Cook County, IL (including Chicago): 5+ million people
American Counties by Density
- Cook County, IL (including Chicago): 5 million people in 2,500 km2 = 2,122 people / km2
- King’s County, NY (including Brooklyn): 2.5 million people in 183 km2 = 13,656 people / km2
- New York County (including Manhattan): 1.6 million people in 59 km2 = 26,820 people / km2
- San Bernardino County, CA: 2 million people in 52,000 km2 = 39 people / km2
- Los Angeles County, CA: 10 million people in 10,500 km2 = 934 people / km2
LAX >> RULA
- Rent a car
- Take the nonstop Flyaway Shuttle from LAX to Union Station, $9.75.
- Then take the Metro Gold Line from Union Station south to the last stop, Atlantic Station.
- If you don’t have a lot of luggage, it’s a nice 20 minute walk North on Atlantic to RULA. If you have a lot of luggage or it’s raining, diagonally across from Atlantic Station you can catch the Metro 260 bus up to Atlantic & El Repetto.
- House is just a few doors up from El Repetto. It’s the brightest colored house on the block – it shouldn’t be hard to find!
Groceries, Food, etc
Just a few minutes walk south of RULA is a shopping center with everything you might want:
- Market: Ralph’s Grocery Market
- Pharmacies: CVS & Rite Aid
- Banks: Wells Fargo & Bank of America
- Sporting Goods / Camping: Big 5
- To eat/drink: Starbucks, McDonalds, IHOP (24 hours), and many other places
Also Possibly Useful
What else would you like to know!? 😀