Welcome to Week B5! It’s halfway through “B”, or for the rest of campus, “Week 8”, which is halfway through the semester.
- Seniors – you’re so close to graduation!
- Freshman – you just survived half of your 1st semester @The Beach! Go You!
- Sophomores & Juniors – you’re in the middle! 😛 Again! But definitely try to make memorable moments for yourself! Whatever year you are, you owe it to yourself to cherish this time in college and to find special moments. Maybe work on a project that you really care about. Go on a weekend road trip with an interesting classmate. Live! Interact! Be Present! You’ll be moving on before you know it!
- B5 – Monday – PSY-150
- B5 – Wednesday – SOA Galleries
- B6 – Monday – PSY-150
- B6 – Wednesday – SOA Galleries
- B7 – Monday – PSY-150
- B7 – Wednesday – SOA Galleries – Halloween Party!!!
- B7 – Saturday – Optional Meetup @Venice Beach Art Walls
All Points through Wk B3 are now up on BeachBoard
After 3 weeks of “B” we’ve had 201 points possible so far. Here’s how many points you should have to be on track for each grade level, and how many peeps are currently on track for that grade:
- 181 points = 90% = on track for final grade of “A” – 73 peeps
- 161 points = 80% = on track for final grade of “B” – 19 peeps
- 141 points = 70% = on track for final grade of “C” – 9 peeps
- 121 points = 60% = on track for final grade of “D” – 8 peeps
- 120 & below = on track for final grade of “F” – 15 peeps
Current overall class GPA = 3.02
We improved from last week’s 2.79 to above 3.0. Yay! That’s awesome news. And congrats to all of you with lots of points.
But we still have a chunk of students (probably not even reading this?) who are very low on points. As each week goes by you get more underwater and it will be a lot harder to pull yourself out. Those with low points really need to make 1 of 2 choices right now: 1. Seriously get going on the class, or, 2. Drop the class. If you fail to make either choice, then you’ll wind up with an “F” in this class. No fun for you; no fun for me.
WIth 201 points possible, here’s our top 10 as of B3:
- Hailey Hairrell, 251 points
- Sienna Sanchez, 246
- Audrey Resella, 235
- Kyle Gower, 233
- Erica Lander, 228
- Allison Sanchez, 225
- Katelyn Tran, 222
- Taylor Wilkins, 219
- Minhyuk Kim, 219
- Michael Sanchez, 216
- Brayden Rios, 216
B5 – Student Choice – This Week!
- Art Activity – Student Choice
- SOA Galleries – This week you should still have a Conversation with an SOA Artist, but instead of the normal “essay”… use a piece of their art as your inspiration for a short story. It could be any sort of fiction you’d like to write, or it could be non-fiction connecting your own personal experiences to something you get from the art. Write a short story, unless you are a Dance Major (or Hops) in which case you should choreograph a piece in response to the art you see. Document your dance with photos or video.
- Monday ID Cards – normal
- Wednesday ID Cards – form groups of 3. Pick one of the SOA Galleries to inspire a “triptych” (3-panel artwork) where your 3 ID cards connect to form some sort of larger whole. When your triptych is ready, all 3 of you can find me in the SOA Gallery Courtyard to present your triptych and explain your ideas to me.
B3 – Websites
Wow – really a lot of nice work on your ePortfolio websites!
I hope you’ll keep refining these as time goes by. Add new work. Edit. Improve the design, layout & navigation. I hope your website will serve you well as you look for jobs, internships, grad school, and various other professional, career, and personal opportunities.
There were way too many good sites I wanted to show to! But here’s a small sample of some of your nice work:
Alec Fielding, Computer Scientist
Brayden Rios, Filmmaker, Writer, Artist
Conner Wileman, Cinematographer, Audio Engineer
Hailey Hairrell, Nurse
Hope Kindred, Filmmaker & Artist
Hunter Dennis, Photographer & Graphic Designer
Katelyn Tran, Dental Hygenist
Leonardo Maldonado, Construction Engineer Management
Lillie Cecile, Photographer & Filmmaker
Nicole Merrit, Tennis Coach
Seia Watanabe, Visual Artist
Stephanie Finch, Landscape Photographer
BTW, you know my whole We Learn By Doing thing:
- Negotiate for Active
- Study Abroad
Why do I think it’s so important? Here’s a diagram of the Retention Rates for different educational modalities:
When you sit in a lecture you only retain 5% of the material. Ironically, teaching is the most powerful modality. When you teach something, you retain 90%. Which means that when you sit and listen to someone teach, they’re getting 90% of the material and you’re getting 5%!? Cruel! Want to learn something?
- Watch it!
- Do it!
- Teach it!