- Dates: May 24 – August 13, 2020
- Format: 100% Online
- Exams: None
- Textbook: The Internet
- Structure: Each week of summer you will:
- Research a living artist
- Try a new art activity
- Section: 1, Class No. 10438
- Prerequisites: None
- Due Dates: each Sunday by Midnight, PDT
- No late work
- Original work: your work should be yours and it should be done this summer during the class
- Contact/Office Hours:
- https://csulb.zoom.us/my/glennz – email me to pick a day/time for a Zoom video chat, and to get the password. Don’t be shy! I’m available most days!
The purpose of this course is to introduce students to Art and Ideas as practiced in the 21st century. Students will try a wide range of art media from traditional tools like Drawing & Paint, to contemporary media like Snapchat & Video. Short videos will introduce artists and art ideas that students will further explore through research and discussions with classmates. Written blog posts will compare and contrast contemporary artists.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe some of the styles, ideas, and issues found in the Western canon.
- Understand and articulate some of the ways that art functions vis-a-vis human culture
- Build upon their direct, introductory experiences, in Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, Photography, Animation, and Data Visualization in both Physical and Virtual worlds
- Articulate their understanding of the relationship between art and: culture, speech, creativity, expression.
- Describe the role of the artist in culture/society
Points & Grades
- 12 Art Activity blog posts x 35 = 420 points
- 12 Artist Essays blog posts x 35 = 420 points
- 2 Zoom Progress Meetups x 80 = 160
- Total Possible Points = 1,000
- 900 points = A
- 800 points = B
- 700 points = C
- 600 points = D
- 599 & below = F
Your Blog Posts
- Photos – Art Activities – document your process
- Photos – Artist OTW – find online pix of the Artist and of their Work
- Post Names – eg: Wk 2 – Activity – Plaster Casting
- Post Names – eg: Wk 2 – Artist – Ana Mendieta
Zoom Progress Meetups
In the first 4 weeks (May 24 – Jun 20), and again in the last 4 weeks (Jul 12 – Aug 13) you’ll schedule a 1-to-1 Zoom meetup with me. Don’t worry! It’s not a “test” and no stress! It’s just a chance to check in and see how Art & Art 110 are working vis-a-vis your life and career.
These 2 meetups are required, but you’re not limited to 2. I’m available anytime you have questions on Art, The Class, or anything else LBSU and beyond. We can chat by email, and I’m happy to hop on Zoom anytime and chat.
I’ve put up a wide range of days and times. LMK if you need anything different.
- Schedule your time:https://glenn.zucman.com/i2va/summer21-meetups/
- Meetup on Zoom: https://csulb.zoom.us/my/glennz
- Password: on BeachBoard
Other Class Details
- Incompletes: The School of Art grants “incompletes” rarely and only for the most extreme conditions.
- Withdrawal Deadline – Drop without “W” – June 7, 2020
- Withdrawal Deadline – Drop with “W” – August 6, 2020
- Accommodation – LBSU will make reasonable accommodations for any student who has a disability. It is the student’s responsibility to notify me in advance of the need for special accommodations.
- Alternate Activities – If any activity is problematic for you, let me know and we’ll come up with an alternative activity for you.