- Dates: May 26 – August 14, 2020
- Format: 100% Online
- Exams: None
- Textbook: The Internet
- Materials: see the Materials List
- Structure: Our class will be organized on 12 Ideas about Art. Each week of summer I’ll introduce a new art idea. Each week you will do 3 things:
- Research a living artist
- Try an art activity, and blog it on Medium
- Check out 5 classmate activities from last week & comment on them
- Section: 1, Class No. 10828
- Prerequisites: None
- Due Dates: each Sunday by Midnight
- No late work
- Original work: your work should be yours and it should be done this summer during the class
- Contact/Office Hours:
- https://csulb.zoom.us/my/glennz – email me to pick a day/time for a Zoom video chat, and to get the password. Don’t be shy! I’m available most days!
- I’ll have a weekly Zoom office hour on Mondays from 10 -11 am PDT at the url above. No appointment necessary, just drop in the Zoom room!
The purpose of this course is to introduce students to Art and Ideas as practiced in the 21st century. Students will try a wide range of art media from traditional tools like Drawing & Paint, to contemporary media like Snapchat & Video. Short videos will introduce artists and art ideas that students will further explore through research and discussions with classmates. Written blog posts will compare and contrast contemporary artists.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe some of the styles, ideas, and issues found in the Western canon.
- Understand and articulate some of the ways that art functions vis-a-vis human culture
- Build upon their direct, introductory experiences, in Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, Photography, Animation, and Data Visualization in both Physical and Virtual worlds
- Articulate their understanding of the relationship between art and: culture, speech, creativity, expression.
- Describe the role of the artist in culture/society.
Points & Grades
- 12 Art Activity blog posts x 25 = 300 points
- 12 Artist Essays x 25 = 300 points
- Wk 1 – make Medium blog & add URL to Roster = 25 points
- Wk 2-12 – feedback on 5 classmates x 25 = 275 points
- Total Possible Points = 900
- 810 points = A
- 720 points = B
- 630 points = C
- 540 points = D
- 539 & below = F
Your Blog Posts
- Photos – Art Activities – document your process
- Photos – Artist OTW – find online pix of the Artist and of their Work
- Post Names – eg: Wk 2 – Activity – Plaster Casting
- Post Names – eg: Wk 2 – Artist – Ana Mendieta
Other Class Details
- Incompletes: The School of Art grants “incompletes” rarely and only for the most extreme conditions.
- Withdrawal Deadline – Drop without “W” – June 8, 2020
- Withdrawal Deadline – Drop with “W” – August 7, 2020
- Accommodation – LBSU will make reasonable accommodations for any student who has a disability. It is the student’s responsibility to notify me in advance of the need for special accommodations.
- Alternate Activities – If any activity is problematic for you, let me know and we’ll come up with an alternative activity for you.