Welcome to the 2nd of our 12 weeks of Artful Summer!
Art Idea #2 – We Live in a 3-Dimensional World
May art forms are often two-dimensional:
- Film & Video
- Books & Graphic Novels
- much of what we create with Phones, Tablets, and Laptops
Thinking in 2D, or representing 3D Volumes & Spaces in 2D, are great abilities to have.
Still, we live in a 3D world. We have dimensional bodies that take up space in physical places. Making 3D art and thinking about a project in any field in terms of space and volume can unlock new insights.
Sculpture, Installation Art, and Site-Specific Art are a few of the ways we can make work that exists in 3 dimensions.
Week 2 – Art Activity #2 – Sculpture
For our Sculpture Activity, we will try Plaster Casting.
- Full Details are here: Plaster Casting Activity
- Optional Meetup at the Seal Beach Pier on Thursday, June 2. Anytime between 11am & 1pm.
- Hop on Discord if you want to carpool with clasmates
Artists of the Week
Our Artists for Week 2 are:
- Juliana Cerqueira Leite
- Tara Donovan
Explore their work!
- Do some research on each artist. Find their websites. Read reviews. Find videos.
- Make a new blog post analyzing these two artists
- Name your post: Week 2 – Artist – Leite & Donovan
- Compare and contrast – discuss how each artist works. What is their content? What ideas and themes does their work explore? What are their goals? How do you perceive them? What does their work have in common? How are they different? How do you experience them? If you were going to start a Sculpture or Installation career, would either of them be a model for you? How would your work be similar or different from theirs? What would your focus be? What would your goals be?