Do you really have to take pix to document everything you do? Haven’t all the pix already been taken? Can’t you just use other peeps pix of your vacation?
Adventures with Rebecca ‘n Kamal
Kamal, Rebecca, and I went on an LA excursion. We visited Griffith Observatory. Hiked in the hills between the Observatory and the Hollywood Sign. Drove Sunset Boulevard from Hollywood till it hit the Pacific Ocean. Walked around the Venice Boardwalk. Had sushi bowls at a trendy place. And attended the 1st Venice Pride festival.
Early in the day at Griffith Observatory, Rebecca and I were at the railing near the James Dean sculpture, as Kamal took a picture of us. I commented to Rebecca that it seemed silly for all 3 of us to be copiously documenting the day since everything we did had already been photographed ad nauseaum by millions before us. I opined that we could just enjoy the day and then later use other people’s photos of our adventure.
This is that.
The view from Griffith Observatory!
James Dean sculpture at Griffith Observatory with the Hollywood Sign in the background
Rebecca hugging the James Dean sculpture
Rebecca sitting on the rail at Griffith Observatory and pointing at the Hollywood sign in the distance
Kamal & Rebecca jumping for joy at the Griffith Observatory railing with the Hollywood Sign in the background
As we started our trail hike we learned that Los Angeles and Berlin are sister cities and there’s a “Berlin Forest” in a clearing on the trail
Rebecca pretending to be a socialite and Kamal pretending to be the mayor of Berlin at a reception at Berlin Forest in Griffith Park
Rebecca on the hiking trail overlooking the endless sprawl that is Los Angeles
Kamal ‘n Rebecca on the hiking trail
The Tiffany Co installed a cool Hollywood Sign overlook on the Griffith Park hiking trail
Kamal & Rebecca taking a selfie from the Tiffany Overlook
Kamal ‘n Rebecca taking yet another selfie from the Tiffany Overlook
After hiking for a while we came to a spot called Dante’s View. It’s a cool little park on the hillside with seating and spectacular views.
It was the middle of the day and super hot and we were kind of tired by the time we got to Dante’s View. So we decided to rest there for a while and enjoy the view. Here Rebecca & Kamal pretend to be Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber out for a hike in Griffith Park
Wait, there’s a Tea House in Griffith Park? We totally missed this! 🙁
After our hike we had a cold drink at Griffith Observatory and then it was time to head over to Venice Beach. We decided to drive Sunset Boulevard all the way from Hollywood to the Pacific Ocean. Here we’re passing by Amoeba Music
Then we passed by the old Tower Records / Sunset building.
Then at the Whiskey a Go Go they were having this Doors anniversary thing with lines to get in for blocks! We also passed by all those other music clubs, The Roxy, The Rainbow, etc.
Of course it really didn’t matter where we drove by since Rebecca slept through the whole thing! She passed out as soon as we came down from Griffith Observatory and didn’t wake up till we hit the Pacific Ocean. Rebecca’s body made the whole trip. But her brain, and camera, were a little missing. Lucky us, we have other people’s photos to remind us of what we slept through!
And then Kamal fell asleep too! Fortunately, I stayed awake to drive. Otherwise, you know, we wouldn’t be here to show you other people’s photos of our trip.
Finally Sunset Boulevard wound its way to the Pacific Ocean. Gladstone’s for Fish was there, and Rebecca and Kamal even woke up! 🙂
We drove past all the craziness of Santa Monica Beach
Then we parked and walked through the even more craziness of the Venice Beach boardwalk
We walked past Harry Perry & Kerri Walsh shooting a TV commercial promoting California
Except for our Griffith Observatory snack we hadn’t eaten all day, so Kamal treated everyone to hot dogs from Jody Maroni!
Then we walked down the Venice Beach Boardwalk and finally came to Big Daddy Shack, Poke Bowls which Rebecca had been waiting all day to try
After eating we went down to the Venice Pride event. We listened to the DJ for a while, and then we got to see Mike Bonin & Gigi Gorgeous throw a big lever and light the “VENICE” sign up in rainbow colors for the 1st time ever!
What a great day! The only thing that could have made it better is if we didn’t have to kill so many pixels documenting every moment of the day. Oh, wait, we didn’t! Why? Because other people already took pix of our whole day!
- Griffith Observatory / NY Times
- James Dean sculpture / The Marke’s World
- hugging James Dean sculpture / Atomic Redhead
- Mount Chapel Bell Hollywood Griffith Park hike / Free for Tourists
- Pointing at Hollywood Sign from Griffith Observatory / The Fabulous Times
- In front of distant Hollywood Sign / A Walker in LA.com
- Leaping in front of (distant) Hollywood Sign / L and A in LA
- Berlin Forest / Flickr / Anke
- Berlin Forest w Mayor of Berlin / Rachel Upshaw / Instagram
- Selena Gomez & Justin Bieber hiking Griffith Park / GotCeleb.com
- Viewing LA from Griffith Park hiking trail / Do Epic Runs
- Griffith Park Tea House / SoCal Hiker
- Tiffany Overlook / Yelp
- Tiffany Overlook / Boston Globe
- Dante’s View / Pedroza Place
- Amoeba Records / Michael Jiroch
- Tower Records / NBC Los Angeles
- Whiskey a Go Go / Whiskey a Go Go.com
- Sleeping Guy / Z Club of Houston
- Sleeping Girl / Vladimira
- Gladstone’s Sunset / California Beaches.com
- Santa Monica Beach / Smart Layover
- Venice Beach / Thousand Wonders
- Harry Perry & Kerri Walsh / Filter Digest
- Jody Maroni’s / Yelp
- Big Daddy Shack / Poke Bowls / Expat Gourmand
- Mike Bonin & Gigi Gorgeous throwing lever to light Venice sign / Venice Paparazzi.com
- Venice Pride Rainbow Letters / Gay West Hollywood