- Hannah Adams on Sage Garver’s BFA Sculpture thesis exhibition BIO, November 2016
- Sara Rivenbark on Brittany Waters’ BFA Ceramics thesis exhibition #MoreThanASandbox, April 2017
- Maria Romo on Sovanchan Sorn’s BFA Fiber thesis exhibition this is all I remember, April 2017
- Rachel Palmer on Yujia Gu’s MFA Graphic Design thesis exhibition Tracing Gun Violence in the USA, April 2017
- Norma Garcia on Alice Andreini’s MFA Painting & Drawing thesis exhibition No-Man’s Land, April 2017
- Maria Romo on Rhiannon Aaron’s MFA Printmaking thesis exhibition Rabbit Hole, April 2017
- Eliza Karpel on Krystal Ramirez’ BFA Metals thesis exhibition La Cena esta Servida, April 2017
Fiction, Inspired by Art
- 3 of my students: Alicia Castro, Gabriella Salazar & Karen Luau were inspired to write short fiction by Ariel Maldonado’s exhibition Talk to Strangers, March 2017
- 5 of my students: Bernadette Villena, Ceasar Mark Nonga, Colene Encarnado, Andrew Hoang & Jennifer Ostroff were inspired to write short fiction by the piece Must Destroy, Wow in Carmina Correa & Vanessa Olivarez’ The Meme Show group exhibition, March 2017
Dance, Inspired by Art
- Nathan Moreno performing his own choreography in the CSULB School of Art’s Dutzi Gallery in response to Amy Williams’ installation No Redemption Value, March 2017
- Toria Painter performing her own choreography in the CSULB School of Art’s Werby Gallery in response to a projection in Carmina Correa & Vanessa Olivarez’ The Meme Show group exhibition, March 2017
Architecture & Urban Planning
- Samples of students rethinking architectural problems on the CSULB campus: The Wedge at the University Student Union & The Wedge at the School of Art’s Fine Art 4 building
Drawing: Automatic Drawing
In our Deep Ethnography activity students try to gain some small understanding of human experience from about 40,000 years ago to about 150 years ago, before the introduction of the Electric Grid, and the Light Bulb. Here are student essays about their experience of spending one night without electricity.
Photography: Landscapes with a Corpse
In this activity my students take as inspiration Izima Kaoru’s Landscapes with a Corpse 25-year photography project. Students are invited to imagine the circumstances of their own passing.
Heidi Schuster, The MP3 Experiment,
My student Heidi Schuster created The MP3 Experiment, a social practice work where about 100 people participated in activities as directed by 3 different MP3 audio files that Schuster created. This project afforded Schuster the opportunity to produce audio media, to create choreography on the scale of a university campus, and to work with social practice ideas she was interested in exploring.